Robots and videogames, a match made in heaven. At least we think so, and sure hope you do too – in fact we’d bet good money that you do, since there’s so many examples of awesome androids in games. They make good enemies (exploding in showers of sparks and bolts), sidekicks (with loads of cool gadgets) and player characters alike, and they’re always super cool to boot. Here are just five of our faves from across the years!
1) The titular hero of the Ratchet and Clank series and the star of his own spin-off game, Clank is so much more than a robotic sidekick. He has provided players with everything from a jetpack to a fully-fledge spaceship to a hulking rock ’em sock ’em boxing robot.
2) What he lacks in aesthetics Josef makes up for with his inventiveness in Machinarium. He is the DIY punk automaton of adventure games, which for our money is more than enough to make him one of the coolest videogame robots.
3) This classic Capcom series of platformers feature not just one but dozens of the coolest robots we’ve ever seen in videogames – there’s the star of the show, Mega Man in his baby blue armour and arm that fires rockets. He picks up all his enemies powers as he goes on, which means he’s literally cooler than all the other supporting characters.
4) If there’s two things the internet loves, it’s robots and cats. This Final Fantasy VII party member brings to the two together in predictably awesome fashion. Even when it turns out that Cait Sith was nothing more than a spy for the bad guys, controlled like a puppet, it was hard to get mad at him. Just like you forgive a real kitty a multitude of sins, Cait was just too cute. Sorry, cool. Robot cats=cool.
5) Her immense charm, the wit and sense of humour, she’s gotta be something special, GlaDOS (that’s short for Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System), the nefarious robot AI that puts you through heck in the Portal games, we salute you. We’re not even joking. We’re being so sincere right now.